Friday, April 2, 2010

The Day I Have Dreaded Since I Had Girls

Yesterday, I picked my daughter up at school and she very calmly said to me. "I think I got my period." All I could think of was oh crap. Of course I didn't say that to her. I asked when it happened and she said in school. She didn't tell anyone. It was too embarrassing and she said she was fine. We got home and I gave her the necessary sanitary products that I use. She preceded to head to the bathroom for who knows how long. I assumed she was fine and I headed out to get my other daughter from dance.

Now when I returned I asked my husband where she was and he told me she never came downstairs. I went up to find the poor thing crying and angry. She was not going to wear those "things" I gave her. Well I went to the store as fast as I could and got some other options. She went back to the bathroom slamming the door in my face and no she didn't need any help. Yeah, right.

She came out and said it was better and came down and rejoined the world. She seemed fine until bedtime when she again broke down in tears. She felt uncomfortable and she hates it and she doesn't want to grow up. All I could say was I'm sorry and I understood. There's nothing else to say. I can't make it go away. She doesn't care that every other woman gets it. I wanted to cry myself because it does stink. There's nothing fun about your period. Nothing.

Let's just hope she wakes up in a better mood the poor thing. Thank goodness it's Good Friday and she doesn't have school. Keep your fingers crossed she doesn't bite my head off all day. I don't think I can take much more.

6 comments:

Beth Anderson said...

I just went through that too! My daughter tried to hide it from me. I won't go into details, but when I found out...it wasn't a pretty sight. I had bought the items in advance, so there were under the sink. Why does it have to be so traumatic?

Anonymous said...

I can sympathize. I went though that twice. Granted it was years ago, but I remember how both of my daughter's felt. The devastating feelings will pass in time and then she will just hate it like the rest of us.
Good luck.

Laane said...

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Both my daughters accepted it as a fact of life. Which surprised me.

When they told me I congratulated them and gave them a present. We had a good talk, not about the fact, they knew everything, but kind of welcoming them in the empire of women. I told them we all hate it and mentioned as much ways women use to tell it's their time again. We had a good laugh.

Now one of them acts OK, but the other tries to stay at home from school every month.

I don't accept grumpy moods. That's a firm rule.

So I've been lucky they took it well.

Brenda said...

I am not looking forward to that day. My daughter is 11, so I have a couple of years to go. I'm sorry it has been hard on your daughter, and you.

Jacqueline said...

Growing up is hard to do. At least your daughter has a loving mom to guide her though the MANY doors of life. Take care...

Beth Anderson said...

Brenda...my daughter is 11 too and has already started. She is tall and very skinny and I thought it would be awhile too. No such luck. :(

Post a Comment

Swidget 1.0

Your Ad Here

Apple iTunes